Friday, May 22, 2015

Farm Girl Friday, of Sorts.

I have three more blocks complete, but I'm having some camera difficulties this afternoon, so I don't have any photos to share of the blocks just yet.  I do, however, have a few snaps of my cutting table, where I spend most of my time. 

If you're at all familiar with the Farm Girl Vintage Sew-Along, then you'll know this is a very scrappy quilt.  I'm thrilled to be using up so many of my smaller pieces, but somehow, my scrap bins don't seem to be dwindling at all.  This is caused by the simple fact that I love fabric and have cute bundles of fat quarters sitting on my shelves begging to be included in this quilt.  Who am I to deny such a request? 


I love my trash basket! I previously used a small colander for my trash, but I kept knocking it off the table and the resultant thud as it hit the floor scared me and my puppy, so I opted for the light weight basket.  Any scrap smaller than an inch gets tossed in the basket.  I'm rather obsessive about my tiny scraps, my dog likes to eat them, and frankly, that's bad!


Hopefully I can get my camera kinks worked out this weekend and get some photos of the new blocks posted, well, post haste!  

Have a lovely weekend! 

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Another Batch of Farm Girl Blocks

Here are the next nine Farm Girl Vintage blocks.  I'm working in order from the book, so these are the blocks Corn and Tomatoes through Furrows.


My favorite of this group is most definitely the house.  Of course, it had to have a yellow door, but my favorite bit of fabric I used was for the pathway, it has addresses printed on it.

I screwed up on the pear - a lot!  There are a few pieces slightly rectangular and I kept turning them the wrong direction.  I still need to hand sew the seeds onto the pear block, but my hand-stitching really leaves something to be desired, so I'm dithering.

The Furrows block (bottom/right, pg. 35 in the book) was actually the most difficult to sew.  Well, not so much the sewing but the pressing.  The intersections on the back made is really funky to press and I'm not at all pleased with it.  I will likely do it over to see if I can get it to look better.

I am still having a grand time with these blocks, which is why I'm moving right along.  Since I'm still relatively new to quilting, I haven't gotten to that point where I start multiple projects at once; so, this is my only quilt in progress.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Farm Girl Vintage Blocks

Here is a photo of nine of the Farm Girl Vintage blocks that I've completed so far.  Do you have a favorite?  It's hard to choose, but I love Churn Dash (bottom row, middle) because of the colors and fussy cut center, but I do love the new chick in the gingham, too!


Obviously I am not limiting myself to sewing only two blocks per week with the sew-along; I am having such a great time with these quilt blocks that I find myself eager to sew on.  I have even completed four additional blocks since taking this picture!

Since the weather here is rainy and too wet for playing in the garden, I'm off the spend the remainder of the day in the sewing room.  I've got fabric ready for two more blocks, so off I go!



Thursday, May 14, 2015

Hive Check

Learning to care for the hive has been been exceedingly rewarding.  Admittedly, I'm operating more in a supervisory capacity (e.g. photographer) as my husband forges on with the bee chores.

There has been quite a bit of rain the past week, so no bees out flying.  This meant the sugar liquid inside the hive was likely used by the bees and would need replenishing. We also needed to flip the opening to the hive.

When the bees were first hived, the opening is reduced so the smaller number that make up the colony can better defend their new home.  As the numbers grow, so can the opening to the hive.

My beekeeper! 
Dog and daughter watched from the relative safety of the deck.


You have to admit, it's kind of funny he is color coordinated with the hive. 



This photo really shows how the bees fly out as he worked. 


As soon as he stepped away, the bees all flew into the hive immediately.  I was in such awe at their speed, and watched with dropped jaw as it looked just like a vacuum, the bees appearing to be sucked back into the hive.

All seem to be going well inside!

Monday, May 11, 2015

Baby Chick Re-do

Well, I sewed up a new chick block for my Farm Girl Vintage quilt. As I wrote previously, I accidentally cut the square for the beak too large; I somehow managed to look at the size for the 12-inch block instead of the 6-inch blocks I am sewing.  I didn't even notice until I had the whole thing sewn up!  I've decided to place a post-it note over the 12-inch size as I cut each block out so this won't happen again. 

Here are the two blocks, side by side for comparison:


I love the new block because I am a sucker for gingham, especially yellow gingham.  I didn't even realize I had yellow gingham until Friday evening, which is odd because I have several yards of it sitting on the shelf in plain sight.  I also like the zigzag legs better on the new block, they're more noticeable.

Funny tidbit: I happen to have two yellow chicks right now - real ones, that is.  Well, they're pullets now, and basically look like miniature hens, but they still peep like chicks.  They're Buff Orpingtons, in case anyone keeps chickens and is curious.


And just for fun, here is a peek at my Butter Churn block, which turned out seriously cute, as did my Churn Dash block.

I'll post an update later this week with all the blocks I've completed.  Until then, I'll be in the sewing room!